January 26, 2015

Tea or coffee?

Today afternoon its unusually quiet. I am sitting in the balcony, sipping hot and sweet ginger tea. It’s a holiday for school but strangely I cannot see even a single kid running around in play area. I am enjoying this quiet. Vary rarely I get to enjoy it.  Small joys of life.

Usually, on a weekday morning, the only thing I drink at home is a sip of water. My day starts early. Usually I am already out of home and on my way to office at 7 am. 10.30 am is the time reserved in office to have first cup of beverage. I don’t have a preference in office – It can be anything of the available choices – tea, coffee, badam milk or green tea. It is part of my routine now. I do it out of habit. I tend to skip it if I do not have company. Actually this hot cup serves as a tiny break in the early busy hours of the day.

But on weekend the story is different. There are only two morning in the week where me and husband can spend some morning time together. Every Saturday and Sunday morning a question is hung in air – Tea or coffee? 

I love ginger teas throughout the year, irrespective of the weather. The aroma of tea, spicy taste of ginger and the sweetness of concoction just brighten up my mornings. But it does not mean I do not enjoy coffee. But I enjoy coffee the typical Marathi way – 3.4th milk, 1/4th water, mild coffee with cardamom and nutmeg. Husband is on the other side of the bridge. He supremely enjoys experimenting with different brews, loves the bitterness in his cup of coffee and milk just for touch. I think he is a psudo Indian in some way – ( I know this is very unfair statement but how can he not enjoy tea? Surely this is a strong question mark on his Indian-ness).  We have around 5-6 different kind of coffee powders at home. Thankfully till now he is satisfied with the functioning of the basic coffee maker we have at home. But I strongly suspect arrival of a French press anytime soon in coming months. Cutting it short, coffee it is on most weekend mornings.

But now, husband is off to USA. I am back to my lovely and  hot steaming gingery sweet cup of ambrosia. Not that I don’t like coffee, but it has its own time and situation – after sumptuous south Indian breakfast, on a rainy afternoon, during late night “gappa” ( chit chat – discussions) at home.  Today is bonus day for my tea life. It’s a weekday but a holiday – so here I am with my cup of tea, enjoying the rarely quiet afternoon.

The question – “Tea or coffee?” can rest till husband is back.

0 comments:

Post a Comment